kernel panic after booting with new kernel 2.6.11.9

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue May 17 21:36:43 EDT 2005

Nick Gawronski writes:
> Hi, I was recompiling a stock kernel because I was wanting to get the
> latest version of speakup and alsa to see if my sound card was
> supported.

Speakup has nothing to do with your sound card.
The alsa-drivers tar ball includes documentation on what cards are
supported, so you can discover in advance whether any effort is
promissing. And, if it is, you don't need a new kernel to get new alsa
drivers. Simply build new alsa drivers and install, preferably with
rpmbuild and a good alsa-driver.spec file, but the classic ./configure,
make, make install will also do the trick.

> I was wondering once I am on the rescue disk what should I
> do to restore the kernel 2.6.10700 in grub.conf what editors are there?

I don't follow. Do you simply need to edit grub.conf? Then do so with
your favorite editor. It's a simple ascii file.

If by "restore" you mean you want to go back to an old kernel, reinstall
it with rpm.

> I have named my new kernel vmlinuz could I just make a link between
> those two files and remove the bad kernel?
Sorry. I don't understand this sentence at all. Bad kernel? Link between
what two files?

> Also, When I am sure
	> everything is the way I want it if I do rpm -e kernel version I get
> failed dependaces and kernel2.4 is needed for this package or another

Kernel 2.4 is needed? How old is this installation? And how long since
you've yum'd?

You can be judicious in applying the --nodeps switch with rpm. For
example, if rpm -e declines to remove some package because package X
depends on it, but you know you're about to install another package that
will support package X, you can just use --nodeps.