changing voice in speakup

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed May 4 05:03:43 EDT 2005

Okay, let's take this from the top.

First of all, Kirk's reply to your first post on this thread gave you
exact commands to examine and to change the /proc/speakup/voice feature,
and they did not include typing "/proc/speakup/voice" or using an
editor on it.

The "access denied" message came about because the pseudo-file
/proc/speakup/voice did not have execute permissions, as it should not
have, and yet you typed it as though it were a command instead of a
psuedo-file. You cannot access it in order to execute it. That does not
compute.

Next, Kenny's observation is correct. The 0 you saw in your editor is
the current value of /proc/speakup/voice, and the subsequent tildes were
in the rightmost column of the remaining lines on your screen, telling
you that those lines did not exist in the file.

Third, as Kirrk pointed out, it is not appropriate to use and editor on
entries in /proc, which is not a true file system but a "pseudo" file
system. Instead you reveal the contents of elements in that system
with the "ls" or the "cat" command, and you change them with the "echo"
command and the redirection mechanism.

When I saw Kirk's response to your inquiry I followed his suggestions
and found that it works fine on my system.

HTH

Chuck

On Wed, 4 May 2005, EPYD Productions wrote:

> hello sir
> i'm sorry you aare miss-construdding the title of tech as a know it all of
> some sorts. i am not. i am just a tech who  deals more with networking and
> hardware than with the speakup and things. i'm vary new to speakup and new
> to its vast array of options and ways to tweak it. i apologize if i can't
> make it much clearer but this is what the system tells me when i am logged
> in as root
> when i type /proc/speakup/voice it tells me "permission denied".
> when i view it in a vi session i do see the zero. what do i do within this
> file to change the "voice output of the doubletalk lite"? i'm coming to this
> list hunbbly sir, seeking assistance and i tell you the title tech doesn't
> always mean i have the answer to questions and sometimes i ask them my self.
> Blind Tech
> website: http://www.users.qwest.net/~drjann/epyd/
> contact info can be found on website
> email list: EPYD Radio-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
> EPYD the only place to be!

"Things are in the saddle, and they ride mankind." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Visit my download site at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh