mail on Fedora Core 3

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Thu Mar 31 18:55:31 EST 2005

Hi gang.  I feel like an Id10t on this because it should be easy to figure
out.

I installed FC3 and am in the process of configuring it.  I just discovered
the system-switch-mail command and switched from sendmail to exim which is
my preferred mta.  My questions are as follows.

1.  If any of my questions can be answered via online docs I'm having
trouble finding them or find obscure answers.

2.  I am comfortable in editing exim.conf by hand but does FC3 provide any
custom programs to be used as front ends to edit the config file?

3.  I can't get fetchmail to poll my mail.  If I do something like:
fetchmail -c -v -u username -p pop3 mail.asmodean.net I do get verbose
output saying I have messages.  ` if I try to run fetchmail replacing the -c
parameter with -a there is no mail which gets fetched.  I've also tried
using my .fetchmailrc which I used to use on Debian and it does not work
either.  That file's syntax is something like:

set daemon 180
poll mail.asmodean.net with proto pop3
user raul at asmodean.net
pass my_pass
smtp saidin.asmodean.net
fetchall
nokeep

It still will not poll any mail.

The server is behind an ActionTec gateway on Qwest.net dsl service.  The ip
for the server is a static one and I can surf the net just fine.  I'm using
mutt as the mua and exim as the mta.  However from my understanding neither
of this should matter when using fetchmail.  My mail file is correctly
defined as /var/spool/mail/raul with 770 permissions owner raul group mail.

If I telnet mail.asmodean.net 110
I can type pop commands by hand and see my mail.

If there is anything else I can provide please let me know.