Using sftsyn

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Thu Mar 31 18:29:13 EST 2005

Hi.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 02:02:36PM -0800, jim grimsby wrote:

> Hi.  Your next step is to build your kernel and include support for
> softsynth.  The docs you will want to read will depend on how you decide
> to go.
>
> Do you want to stick with a 2.4 kernel or move to a 2.6 kernel? Do you
> want to build the kernel the way described in the kernel source tree or
> do you want to be lazy like me and build it as a Debian package?
> Any advantage in upgrading the kernel and as for the second idea is
> there any way that one this would help others deebien users if we built
> it as a package
> And 2 is there any way we might update what we already have on cd so the
> newist kernel is included for one and the soft synth is included for
> two.

The biggest advantage to upgrading to a 2.6 kernel is alsa is now part
of the kernel so switching to alsa drivers for your sound card is
easier.
The answer to your other questions is no.  The package you
build is a local package, not an official Debian package.  Bug reports
will need to be filed against the official Debian speakup kernel package
to fix the softsynth problem.  Even though the cd is unofficial, it is
built using official Debian packages.  It might be possible to rebuild
it using an unofficial Debian package, but I haven't tried it.  When I
used to try rebuilding the old boot floppy installer with an unofficial
kernel package, I always ran into problems.

> I know what you mean about the more you learn the more you want to
> learn.  One of the cool things about Linux is you can usually find docs
> to help you do almost anything you want with your computer.
> The only problem with all this is there are so many things to read that
> you find your self reading more and getting less done.  Also the emount
> of docs can be over welming at times.  And the web sights for
> downloading the docs can be strange.  Everyone keeps saying I should
> read a book called linux in a nut shell.  I wonder how I might go about
> getting this book.   Thanks again

I think part of the reason you are reading so much now is you are still
new to Linux.  After a point, you have learned enough basic stuff that
you only read when you want to do something new.

Have you looked at the empowermentzone site to see if he has the book
you want?
www.empowermentzone.com

It has a lot of stuff on a lot of subjects, so you will probably need
to use your browser's search function to find what you want.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny