Doubts about speakup.

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Mar 31 11:56:26 EST 2005

Hi, Steve:

Some responses in line below ...

Steve Dawes writes:

> This person already has fc2 installed, all this person needs is the speakup
> modified kernels from the fedora package.

You're right. I answered the wrong question. Happens sometimes. Sorry.

> The howto does not talk about how to do just this.
> So, in my opinion, you are sending this person on a wild goose chase.
> All this person needs to do, is:
> 1. go to the speakup download site -- ftp linux-speakup.org
> 2. change into the pub/speakup/disks/fedora/2 directory
> 3. download the  speakup modified kernels
> 4. install them using rpm
> 5. create initrd.
> 6. reboot.

> This should be an appendix to your howto, and it is not.

Not sure if it should be in the main HOWTO or in a separate one. In the
past, we had such guidance but dropped it. It tended to encourage people
to use the stock Fedora for installation, which can sometimes lead to
complications. Primary complication being that updates keep coming, and
the current FC3 is over a gig of binaries out of date. But, I'm happy to
reconsider this.

> I provided you with information on both how to do this as well as how to use
> BitTorrent to get fedora for your howto, and do not see any of the provided
> information in your howto.

But, we don't have a working BitTorrent, so that would be inappropriate
right now. I'm aware that the traditional download methods are painful
right now with the recent restrictions on bandwidth at Speakup. All I
can tell you at the moment is that a solution is in the works.

> So, before you use the easy out, and refer people to the howto, make sure
> that the information the user is wanting is included.
>
> Other suggestions:
> When you refer people to your howto, you should also include the url,
> because if you are new to this list or Linux, you won't know where to find
> it. It is not obvious when you first go to the speakup-Linux home page.

I did.

> When you refer people to your howto, you might mention, "pay close attention
> to section xx.xx which speaks directly to your situation."

I often do. Yesterday, when I suggested Gene look at how we used the
GFDL, I pointed him directly to the copyright hash offset. Perhaps you
missed that! <grin>

> Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good stuff in the fedora howto, but it
> is missing some useful information.
> The howto needs a section for upgrading existing fedora installations to the
> latest release, including the different ways this can be done.
I'm only aware of one way to do it, and it's supported by the installer.
I said so in my response. But, I'm not comfortable just recommending
this approach. I've had mixed results with this in the past.

> As well, it needs a section to address the situation, where the user already
> has fedora installed and all they need do is install the speakup modified
> kernels.
> This can be done as either chapters in the howto, or appendices, but
> regardless of how it is done, it is still needed.
> After all, you were all over Gene the past few days for missing information
> in his speakup documentation, so it is only fare that this be pointed out to
> you.
>
> Lastly, is your howto only available on the speakup Web site, or can it also
> be accessed through tldp's howto site? If it is not on tldp howto pages, can
> you work with tldp to get it up there. This will give speak even more
> exposure.

Yes. I have intended to, but have not had the time to come up with the
sgml recode. Are you offering to do that part, perhaps?

				Janina