Doubts about speakup.

Steve Dawes sdawes at telus.net
Thu Mar 31 11:00:12 EST 2005

Janina,

This person already has fc2 installed, all this person needs is the speakup
modified kernels from the fedora package.
The howto does not talk about how to do just this.
So, in my opinion, you are sending this person on a wild goose chase.
All this person needs to do, is:
1. go to the speakup download site -- ftp linux-speakup.org
2. change into the pub/speakup/disks/fedora/2 directory
3. download the  speakup modified kernels
4. install them using rpm
5. create initrd.
6. reboot.

This should be an appendix to your howto, and it is not.

I provided you with information on both how to do this as well as how to use
BitTorrent to get fedora for your howto, and do not see any of the provided
information in your howto.

So, before you use the easy out, and refer people to the howto, make sure
that the information the user is wanting is included.

Other suggestions:
When you refer people to your howto, you should also include the url,
because if you are new to this list or Linux, you won't know where to find
it. It is not obvious when you first go to the speakup-Linux home page.
When you refer people to your howto, you might mention, "pay close attention
to section xx.xx which speaks directly to your situation."

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good stuff in the fedora howto, but it
is missing some useful information.
The howto needs a section for upgrading existing fedora installations to the
latest release, including the different ways this can be done.
As well, it needs a section to address the situation, where the user already
has fedora installed and all they need do is install the speakup modified
kernels.
This can be done as either chapters in the howto, or appendices, but
regardless of how it is done, it is still needed.
After all, you were all over Gene the past few days for missing information
in his speakup documentation, so it is only fare that this be pointed out to
you.

Lastly, is your howto only available on the speakup Web site, or can it also
be accessed through tldp's howto site? If it is not on tldp howto pages, can
you work with tldp to get it up there. This will give speak even more
exposure.

Steve

Steve Dawes
Calgary Canada.