dsl with mci

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Mar 18 00:15:34 EST 2005

By saying "dsl", I assume you're referring to the most common type,
which is ADSL. I would think that you can use ADSL from most, if not
all companies under gnu/linux. A better question might be does MCI
insist that your ADSL-connected PC run windows only (which I heard some
companies insist on), and will they provide tech support if you're
running linux (which most companies don't seem to do).

As for differences in ADSL that come to mind, they are:

1. Price.

2. PPPOE/PPPOA/bridged connection

3. Static/dynamic IP address (if static, how many do you get for x
amount of Dollars).

4. Up/downstream speeds.

5. Are you allowed to run servers or not.

6. Do they block any in/out-bound ports.

7. Can you setup a LAN, (some providers explicitly state their ADSL
services can be used with only 1 computer at a time in their
acceptable use policy).

These are the differences I can think of from company to company. Most
of these will not apply to you if you just want basic service. I've
found <http://www.dslreports.com/> to be a great resource for all
types of DSL. You can see which companies can serve you, and what they
offer for what prices. You can also read user reviews about companies,
which will give you an idea of if this is a provider you want to give
your business to or not.

Since most dial-up connections are about $20/month now, and that's
what it sounds like you have, $20/month more would bring you up to
$40/month, and there are plenty of companies that would give you basic
DSL service for that much, and in some cases for less on a permanent
basis (after all the promotions). So, my suggestion would be that you
shop around, and do your homework, instead of just going with a
company because they can give you ADSL for $20/month more then what
you're paying now.

Hth.

Greg