dvd playback works

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 11 11:50:25 EST 2005

THanks to all who offered suggestions, I resolved the problem. After
much poking around I found that I needed libdvd-css and for some reason
it wasn't apparent it was not installed or I didn't realize this via the
error I was receiving.
I stumbled over some info in the /usr/share/doc/libdvdread directory
that clued me in on a script that would get me the very thing I thought
I might be missing. So sure enough taht worked out well.
Now for my wife's benefit as she was curious to see the movie on the
screen, if I could figure out how to get this to use the x11 display I'd
be in business.
Actually I mention this because I have tried to run xwatv and fbtv, but
with no luck.
I get these messages from both applications.

This is xawtv-3.94, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.7)
Error: Can't open display:

when running fbtv
using linux console font "/usr/share/consolefonts/lat1-16.psf.gz"
ioctl FBIOGET_CON2FBMAP: Invalid argument
These problems have pleagued me for a very long time and I've yet to
resolve them. If anyone has experienced these and has any suggestions
where I could read more or where I might find some answers, I'd
appreciate it. I suspect all these issues are tied together in some
fashion.

tnx
Scott