Newbie: speakup and gentoo installation

Christy Schulte christy at faylen.com
Fri Mar 11 11:03:01 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've been on this list before, but it's been a long time. Previously I was running Debian, with some help from a friend and sighted assistance to get it installed. This time, not having any sighted person around who knew a thing of linux, I decided to use gentoo since it's the only one that I know of that can be installed completely independently. But there's this little issue of my very limited linux knowledge, and i've never built a kernel before, sooo. Heh.
So I'm following the installation guide from www.gentoo.org. so far so good, I got the bootstrap script to work, got emerge system to work, and now i'm at the section where it starts configuring the kernel. So my question is this, at what point does the fact that I'm using speakup mean I have to do something special, and just what is that something special? Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if there is anyone here using gentoo that's done this before independently. i've got a friend that's been helping but she's offline at the moment, and i'd like to have some additional resources instead of always bugging her with my newbie questions <g>. It takes me a while to get things, but once I get them, I've got them for good. Thanks!

Christy