default speakup for Debian Sarge

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Sun Jul 31 19:15:50 EDT 2005

Hi Shane,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 02:44:41PM -0700, Shane wrote:

> Hmm, does this happen on the regular Debian Sarge CD as
> well.  I didn't change anything in there afaik.

Other folks have noticed this on the regular Sarge netinst CD, and it
has been discussed on the debian-users mailing list, so that one has
nothing to do with the speakup modifications.

The issue of the speakup modified 2.6.8  kernel is a sticky one, since
that kernel requires a speakup patch version that may only be available
by rolling back the retrieval date in the CVS sources. The speakup 2.0
tarball requires 2.6.10 or 2.6.11, so it cannot be used to patch 2.6.8
for the Sarge release. I seem to recall that the mark/cut/paste problem
was propagated in the CVS system for a short time before it was fixed,
and it looks the luck of the draw that you used it while it was broken
to patch the 2.6.8 kernel.

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh