newbie question...

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Jan 5 17:29:12 EST 2005

Hi Laura,

Buddy addressed your questions concerning distributions; I personally
like Slackware as it has a ready-made kernel containing a recent
version of Speakup but as you should realize, to get optimal results
on your system, an eventual recompile would be in order but at least
this precompiled kernel should get you off to a good start.

The Tuxtalk thinggy you mentioned is probably dead by now but there is
a software speech solution now.  It involves using Speech Dispatcher,
a kinda driver that will talk to several popular software speech
synths.  Speechd-up connects Speakup to this software speech
dispatcher and then there are several synths: Software Dectalk, Flite,
and I believe Sepstral.  Flite is free and Dectalk runs $50 and they
do have a Linux run-time available.

Sorry, I don't have the URL's at my finger tips right now but will try
and find them later when I get home at which time I can push them up
there if no-one else has done it yet.

I should note that Hardware speech will give you access right from the
first kernel messages where software won't begin talking till later
after your principal file system has been checked and remounted.  I
use it on a laptop though and works well.  I just use the hardware on
the laptop when diagnosing problems.