newbie question...

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Wed Jan 5 14:00:49 EST 2005

Laura, ol' buddy ol' pal o' mine, you're turning up in the oddest
places, aren't you?

Welcome to the insanity :)

Someone else will have to address Speakup with a software synth (seems
most people prefer the software DECTalk--I haven't tried to get this
working), but it seems Bill Acker keeps the Fedora stuff more
up-to-date than just about any of the others are. Your best bet for
getting up and running PDQ is probably Fedora or Slackware, as both
have Speakup readily and quickly available. Debian does, too, and
that's what I'm using now, but you'll probably find the best
documentation on Fedora with Janina's Speakup howto, whose URL
is...uh...well, it's posted here somewhere (I don't have it right in
front of me).

I'm fixing to change my system from Debian unstable to Ubuntu
(www.ubuntulinux.org). Not sure if they have Speakup, but I'm gonna
see if I can help get Speakup in if'n it doesn't.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV      | Alena Grace's proud papa!
Phone: (814) 455-7333      | Born: 04/06/2000 in Donetsk, Ukraine