ups units under Linux

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Sun Dec 11 19:04:01 EST 2005

Scott,

I am using an APC UPS with a USB connector with good success. It is the
Back-UPS ES 350
and was not very expensive, around $60 or $70 as I recall. There is a
Debian package called "apcupsd" which does the trick, and it is not
limited to that specific model. Lots of documentation too. Watch out for
the APC proprietary Linux software. It is unnecessary and unfree.

Chuck

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 06:42:06PM -0500, Scott Howell wrote:
> Folks, do any of you know if any of the newer APC usb-based ups units
> work under Linux? I see several packages that work with serial
> devices, but no mention of usb, but I'm sure serial-based devices are
> still around, but seeing as serial ports are limited generally to
> one, I wanted to find a new ups that was usb-based if possible. My
> old Best Power network appliance will being needing new batteries
> soon and at about $300 for the batteries, well I think I can get away
> with less ups at this point.
>
> tnx

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh