ot, dig, rndc, nslookup segfaulting on debian

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Aug 30 14:22:54 EDT 2005

Chris and all,

I actually had dnsutils installed before I installed bind, but for
some reason, I thought that installing bind might magically make dig
and friends work like they should, which turned out not to be the
case.

Host is another program I forgot to check. Just running host without
arguments gives me the usage message, but trying to make it do some
work makes it segfault. Also, I said yesterday that named itself
works, because of what I saw in /var/log/daemon.log:

Aug 30 13:09:37 localhost named[238]: starting BIND 9.2.4 -u bind
Aug 30 13:09:38 localhost named[238]: using 1 CPU

Yes, this is today's entry, but they're all the same. This typically
isn't the full named output, but since I didn't define zones of my own
yet, what I pasted above convinced me that named is running. However,
if I examine the processes running on the system, named isn't one of
them.

I plan to sit down today, and launch aptitude both on the uml box, and
on the physical box, where things work, and compare the installed
packages on both systems.

Greg