Thanks for the new highlight tracking!

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Aug 22 17:51:23 EDT 2005

I've gotten a chance to play with highlight tracking, and it is
definitely worth the effort of building a 2.6.12.5 kernel.  I've always
ignored the Midnight Commander before, but now, I feel I could actually
make use of it.  It also works well in the Pilot file browser that comes
with Pine.  Even if you don't use the "-g" flag to make the cursor appear
where the file is, speech will still properly track where you are once
highlight tracking is turned on.

Is there a way to get Speakup to read what text is highlighted at the
moment?  For instance, it would be nice to know what file is highlighted
without having to move up and down with the arrows.  Another place this
would be handy is in the Aspell spelling checker.  Since that spelling
checker is supposed to eventually replace Ispell, I've been trying to get
used to it.  It isn't nearly as accessible as Ispell, however.  Ispell
shows the unknown word at the top of the screen, then shows it in context.
Aspell, on the other hand, shows the unknown word only in context, in
reverse video.  By looking at the suggestions, and moving through the
lines above, repeatedly pressing insert-period, I can eventually find the
word in question since it is in reverse video, but this is a real pain in
the rear.  It would be nice to have a keystroke which would read any
highlighted text on the screen, so I could easily tell what word is being
asked about.