speech-dispatcher-0.5 and gcc4 (was: Re: Source tarball for SpeechD-Up available)

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Mon Aug 15 12:24:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:48:10AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Let me then ask the bigger question: What's the current story about
> alsa. When is speech-dispatcher moving to alsa?

The same answer: CVS, speech-dispatcher-0.6 :) I hope the 0.6 release will be
around the end of september, but I don't promise anything. It all depends on
our resources.

With the help of Gary Cramblitt of KTTSD, we made Speech Dispatcher support
ALSA somehow. You can still use it with OSS as well as with the (NAS-side
problematic) NAS backend.

However, there are still some unsolved issues with ALSA in Speech Dispatcher.
On some test machines, we get crack-sounds and I still don't know how to fix
this. Any help with this is welcome.

It's very hard because ALSA programming is very poorly documented. I'm still
waiting for some input from the ALSA developers conference about the above
issue.

But from our earlier discussions, you surely are familiar with the issue of
audio output and with the fact that ALSA is not the final complete solution to
all our headaches (even ALSA developers say this ... and point us to Jack ;)

To save you one question ;), the second bigger thing comming in
speech-dispatcher-0.6 will be full support of index marking in SSML and the
callback mechanisms. But I'm happy to answer other questions...

With regards,
Hynek Hanke
www.freebsoft.org