system locksup wile working in one to many remote sesions in 2 or more virtual consoles

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 10 13:57:45 EDT 2005

I don't know if that's a proper subject line but here's the problem. On my
Debian Sarge system running a 2.6.11.7 speakup-enabled custom kernel, my system
locksup if I have one virtual console logged into a remote session with our sun
server at work.  The problem happens using emacs or lynx on that system.  I can
perform tasks on the remote system for a while then speakup and/or the remote
system stops responding to my commands.  Doing a ps -e from the other console,
reveals the ssh process is still there however the only way I can fix the
problem is to kill the process id and completely restart the remote session.
This problem does not happen on another system I have which uses brltty, and a
2.4 kernel.  Is there something I should look for in my 2.6 configuration?  I
suspect this is partly a terminal emulation problem, but I don't know if there's
some package I'd need to install  on my local system to fix this.  The speakup
version is 2.0
let me know if you need more info.
Sean