FC3 for x86_64?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Aug 6 09:09:44 EDT 2005

Liz Hare writes:

> >if you intend to crunch lots of numbers! <grin>
>
> Yup, that's what this <hopefully> speedy new machine is for....
>
> >I feel bad about sending you to FC3 for x86_64. The amount of updating
> >following the installation will be truly prodigious.Any reason you
> >shouldn't just do FC4?
>
> I thought that there wasn't a speakup-modified FC4 yet.... did I miss
> something?

You can use a speakup Modified FC3 kernel on an FC4 installation. It
works.

> I'm really confused about this process-- I'm installing a whole new Linux,
> here, and am not sure how to proceed.  I see that in the directory for FC3
> there is a subdirectory for x86_64.  Should I install the regular version
> first from the ISO's and then add the rpms in the x86_64 after that?  Or do
> I somehow need to create install disks with the x86_64 rpms?

You need a complete set of x86_64 iso images/disks. You also need to
boot specifically using x86_64 files. I do see that there are none such
on the Speakup site. Can you do a telnet install? Forgetting for the
moment that you may not have done that before, do you have a second
machine that can be used to control the process with speech? Or,