exim4 authentication trouble shooting

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed Aug 3 17:26:33 EDT 2005

Hi Kenny,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:14:53PM -0500, Kenny Hitt wrote:

> Are both boxes using the same exim4 packages.  There is an
> exim4-daemon-heavy and an exim4-daemon-light.  Does the Sarge box have
> the same package?

Yes. Both are using the exim4 light package.

> I've noticed the small config files seem to be different in content than
> the one large file.  Do both boxes use the same option for config file?

Yes. Both use the single file option, all the changes are in
"update-exim4.conf.conf"

> Did you run the update script after you made changes to the Sarge box?

Yes. I ran "update-exim4.conf" with no errors reported, and then
restarted the daemon with "invoke-rc.d exim4 restart", again with no
complaints.

> Hope one of these ideas helps.

The name of the smart host, the user name, and the user password, go in
/etc/exim4/passwd.client, and I checked its permissions. I did my
updating and restarting after making those changes, though I'm not sure
that matters. I checked for typos a million times, but still no go.

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh