exim4 authentication trouble shooting

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed Aug 3 16:57:11 EDT 2005

I hope somebody might have a pointer or two for me on this one. I am
using exim4 to send my outgoing email to a smart host which requires
authentication. my system is a Debian Sid system, kernel 2.6.11, exim4
version 4.52, and the instructions are pretty straightforward, and it
seems to work fine.

Now I am attempting to duplicate the above on a Debian Sarge box, kernel
2.6.11, exim4 version 4.50, where there are identical instructions for
achieving the authentication, but this time it does not work. My ISP
rejects my outgoing mail with a message indicating that authentication
is required. Of course lots of other things probably are different
between the Sid that works and the Sarge that doesn't, But I don't have
a clue as to where to look for the problem.

Any tips about how to get exim4 to authenticate to a smart host on a
Debian Sarge system would be greatly appreciated. There must be
something not covered in the instructions. I have asked the Debian users
list about this, but no replies as yet.

Thanks for any ideas,
Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh