speechd-up errors revisited

Hynek Hanke,,, hanke at volny.cz
Tue Aug 2 14:37:57 EDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:59:46AM -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
> I am working in a Debian Sarge environment and am trying to build
> speechd-up, but cannot get rid of this compile error. I have the static
> flite libraries installed, and my automake is 1.9, but the "PIDPATH" is
> shooting me down. Here is the error:

PIDPATH is a preprocessor constant that should be passed to gcc by the Makefile
via the -D option. It's correctly stated in Makefile.am, however from the log
of make all you sent, it's clear that the -D option isn't there.

It seems you are using some old/broken version of automake or autoconf.  Please
type automake -v and see if it's at least 1.7. If not, you want to install some
later version and make sure automake runs this one (/etc/alternatives/ contains
symbolic links).

But there is an easier way. Download the distribution tarball (which should
pretty much be the latest CVS now)
	http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd-up/
and just run
	./configure
	make
and as root
	make install
Don't run build.sh, this is only necessary when building from CVS.

This distribution tarball is not visible from the web yet, but soon will be.
I hope it makes the instalation little easier. Will let you know...

With regards,
Hynek Hanke