Just installed Debian

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Wed Apr 20 12:26:43 EDT 2005

Hi.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 07:50:16AM -0700, jim grimsby wrote:

> Well do you have a unofficial one?

No.  My package is built specific for my hardware.
I started with the config for a 2.6 Debian K7 kernel and started
deleting and changing.  I only use a Debian kernel for the initial
install and optimize it as soon as I can.
My speakup is all modules so I can boot without speakup and only
run it when I want.  Since I don't own all synths, I only build support
for the one's I do have.  I delete support for intel hardware since I
use AMD.  You get the idea.

> If so it would be helpful just to be able to get it from the speakup
> sight and run dpkg -I package name to install. Thus allowing for keeping
> track of it in aptitude having it setup the grup loader having it ask
> witch should be the default synth not having every user have to build
> the kernel from scratch.  The next remark is going to be if I like this
> idea so much then why the hell don't I do it?  The answer is I am still
> learning and getting comfortable with linux after 13 years in windows so
> if no one else does it I will afenchualy do it one day when I get
> comfortable doing it.

Cool, go for it.  Let us know when you have it built.

BTW, you don't have to specify the synth except the first
time you boot the install, so I don't understand what you mean above.

> It just seemed to me that we have enough debian users out there to be
> worth whiled.  We have rpm kernels so why not deb packages as well.

I can't speak for others, but the Fedora people seem more interested in
making a newby friendly distro.  Personally, I believe forcing a newby
to learn some basics is a good idea.  If you just want to use the system
without learning, then pay me to maintain it for you and we will both
win.

          Kenny