Stradling Cultures--was: "Re[2]: A easier way to createcd'susing easy cd creator"

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 7 12:38:25 EDT 2005

A few things to point out.  Many of the features that windows users see as power
over the command line result from dos being like a subset of unix.  I think
linux makes difficult tasks easy and some perceived easy tasks difficult.  On
Debian for example, upgrading/removing/installing is way easier then Windows.
Setting up your mplayer to automatically play files you find on the web, that
takes a little more work then just installing winamp.  However, the power you
get with mplayer can't be matched.  Windows hides a lot of information to seem
less confusing.  Linux could just as easily hide this information, and you can
create such an information hiding interface if you want.  However, because
there's a wider base of users to support, a freedom of ideas, open source
programs may look less pollished to the newcomer then those you pay fore because
they are the first to introduce  new ideas.