Linux system...dressed downfrom yesterday.

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Tue Sep 28 12:48:50 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Ladies, ladies, please!  No blood, please no blood, if you must yowl
and scratch each other, please make sure that there is no blood.  I
hate the sight of blood!

What's all the hoopla?  If I were choosing a distribution of Linux,
and I needed help, I would tend to choose the one which was used by
the most people whom I felt might be able to help me.  Might I suggest
that Karen you try looking into Debian.  It is a user friendly distro,
and I think you may have more luck in getting help installing it.
You may also want to begin the reading program which Janina has
outlined.  Why?  Because as you begin to do things in Linux, you will
learn to understand what you read.

I know that the documentation may seem daunting, but I'd prefer having
docs to not having them.  <Psst> I'll tell you a secret about linuxers
in general.  If you make an effort to read documentation, they are
much more likely to help you.  It's sort of an initiation thing,
Karen.  It proves you're willing to stick with the thing and not just
let other people do it for you.  We're an independent lot here, and we
encourage self learning, independent exploration and independent
thought.

Therefore, the ability to say, "I read the man page on chmod, what
does this mean?"  Makes a terrific impression because it says you're
an independent explorer too.  Now, if you want help by having somebody
set up your system for you, then you've got to agree to begin to learn
how to use that system and to take an active part in what goes on.  If
you want a system configured for you, suggest you contact Gary
Lawrence Murphy,  at:  garym at canada.com.  I dunnow if he's still
building Linux systems for people, but you might try.  In the mean
time, please, no blood, I just *hate* the sight of blood!!

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net
WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
"All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT