System-config-soundcard

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Mon Nov 29 10:04:41 EST 2004

Hi Ken:
I think you should try to get mplayer working.  MPlayer is the best, most powerful audio/video player I have ever seen.
The repos that Janina has given you are very good.  Specially, the freshrpms.net repository has great mplayer rpms.  One
thing though, the pre-compiled mplayer is going to be a little slower than if you compile mplayer your self.  However,
it is a very good place to start.
Also, when you compile mplayer your self you can add one of the codec packages from the mplayer home page
(www.mplayerhq.hu) that will add lots of functionality to your install.  With these codecs, you will be able to play
windows media 9, quicktime 6, real audio 9, and a bunch  of the other more obscure formats out there.
Anyway, if you want a quick mp3/mp2/mp1 audio player, you can try to install a little program called "mpg321".  After
you have your yum repos configured, you should be able to just do:
# yum install mpg321

MPG321 has no fw/rw/pause/etc controls, but it is great to play mp3's in the background and to convert to wave...

David B.