earliest possible software speech at boot?

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Thu Nov 4 14:24:25 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk Reiser" <kirk at braille.uwo.ca>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: earliest possible software speech at boot?

> Um, look, if you want the benefits of a hardware synth then you need a
> hardware synth.  During a boot you can't really run any other software
> simply because the partitions haven't been loaded and you don't even
> have a writable root partition mounted at that point.

David said:
I understand and your point is well taken.  So, if the root partition is not
writable I can't run other software?

> This is one of the reasons I built speech into the kernel so you can
> manipulate your system by yourself.  If you have to depend on other
> software to do that then you cannot manipulate your system by
> yourself.

David said:
The problem is that sometimes not depending on other software means that you
have to depend on other people and that is not always an option...  So, I
just wanted to try anything that could be tried.  Don't get me wrong, I
think that Speakup in the kernel is a very wonderful thing!  I also love my
hardware synth, but sometimes I don't have it hanging from my laptop and my
girl friend's laptop does not even have a serial port...

> At this point in time there are no software synths which will either
> fit into the kernel or operate in the kernel because of floating point
> restrictions.  If someone wants to write one we will all be grateful.
> Until then buy a hardware synth if you need it early.

I agree, that would be so cool!