earliest possible software speech at boot?

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Nov 4 13:38:47 EST 2004

Um, look, if you want the benefits of a hardware synth then you need a
hardware synth.  During a boot you can't really run any other software
simply because the partitions haven't been loaded and you don't even
have a writable root partition mounted at that point.

This is one of the reasons I built speech into the kernel so you can
manipulate your system by yourself.  If you have to depend on other
software to do that then you cannot manipulate your system by
yourself.

At this point in time there are no software synths which will either
fit into the kernel or operate in the kernel because of floating point
restrictions.  If someone wants to write one we will all be grateful.
Until then buy a hardware synth if you need it early.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061