regarding speech-dispatcher, dectalk and the init script

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Sun May 2 06:09:51 EDT 2004

Hi
The dectalk's say program works fine when executed in an initscript by
itself. I put it at the exact same point as I've tried to start speech
dispatcher and it works. It doesn't communicate with a server, it
communicates with the dectalk libraries. For the record, I'm using
slackware, so this init problem isn't tied down to one distribution. I
have it executing in rc.local, which means that it executes right before
the login prompt. By then, all hardware is up, including sound. None of
the log files, speechd, dtk-generic, nor speechd-up indicate any error
messages.