regarding speech-dispatcher, dectalk and the init script

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Sun May 2 04:33:50 EDT 2004

Hi all,

there are currently running various threads that complain that
the speech dispatcher's dectalk output module doesn't work if
speech dispatcher is started early during the boot process (before
login).

I don't know what may cause this, but possibly the problem can be
that the dectalk "say" program can't operate yet when speech-dispatcher
is starting. If it communicates to some server and the server is not
running yet, maybe the say command returns with an error and the output
module dies.

Could someone please look at what happens if you execute the say command
in that phase? I don't own Dectalk and I don't want to install it as
it's not free software.

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke