regarding speech-dispatcher, dectalk and the init script

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Sun May 2 06:46:09 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 06:09:51AM -0400, Jacob Schmude wrote:
> The dectalk's say program works fine when executed in an initscript by
> itself. I put it at the exact same point as I've tried to start speech
> dispatcher and it works. It doesn't communicate with a server, it
> communicates with the dectalk libraries. For the record, I'm using
> slackware, so this init problem isn't tied down to one distribution. I
> have it executing in rc.local, which means that it executes right before
> the login prompt. By then, all hardware is up, including sound.

This is very strange.

We should attempt to eliminate speechd-up from the possible places
where this problem might appear. Please can you repeat this proces (so
that dectalk wouldn't work with speechd-up) and try to run run_test
basic.test in src/tests after you login?

Under what user is speech-dispatcher executed on your system in the
init script? Does this user have permissions to acces the say command?

Regards,
Hynek