Spoken interface for Mac OS X

Bob Dodd Bob.Dodd at rocketmail.com
Sat Mar 20 18:08:07 EST 2004

Hi Darrell,

Yes, I wondered how well it would handle shell windows myself, it's why
I was look for anyone who might be thinking of trying out
SpokenInterface. I was also interested in how well it handled
installation.

I also think you're right: SpokenInterface isn't competition for
Speakup, it's a different market and a different philosophy (open
source as opposed to closed source). I reckon SpokenInterface is more
competition for windows based tools like Jaws: The cost of a mac+OSX
should give PC+windows+Jaws a real run for its money. I also suspect,
because the mac is so GUI driven, it will appeal more to low-vision
users, rather than to blind users, though I'm sure people will disagree
with that...

It will be very interesting though, to see how well, and how
seamlessly, integrated Apple have managed to make SpokenInterface seem
to users, and what Speakup can learn from it. Apple are very good at
look & feel (and design in general) so my guess is we'll learn
something of use.

/bob dodd