linux

Bob Dodd Bob.Dodd at rocketmail.com
Tue Mar 16 06:54:03 EST 2004

Hi Andrew,

Before you lauch into Linux in a big way, I think you need to consider
*what* you use your PC for. If you're alreasy running Jaws, then you've
probably made a major investment (Jaws is many things but it 'aint
cheap...) and you need to think very carefully before throwing away all
that money, and all the time you spent learning how to use Jaws. I
don't mean to put you off Linux, I'm a great advocate of the operating
system, but the switch to Linux can be quite a steep learning curve.

What you will get with Linux+Speakup, at least if you can't read the
screen at all, is a more accessible operating system than Windows.
That's because Linux doesn't need a graphical user interface;
everything can be done from the keyboard. But... all the applications
are different. Also, unlike Windows, there are at least a dozen (free)
tools that do the same job on Linux, and as a newbie, you'll probably
need help choosing the best email program, word processor etc. from all
those out there. Further, there are many books on, say, how to use
Microsoft Word, but precious few about the equivalent applications used
on Linux, so again the learning curve can be quite steep.

So, before you move from Windows to Linux+Speakup, you need to decide
what you want the PC to do for you, and which Linux applications you
want to use (including which accessibility applications you want to
use). Then you'll need help installing and setting up the box (maybe
someone is doing this for you already?). Finally, you'll probably need
to get onto the Usenet discussion groups about Linux and its
applications to help you learn how to use them.

/bob dodd