bind directive not implemented?

Shane Wegner shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu
Mon Mar 8 12:33:43 EST 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 05:46:16PM -0500, Igor Gueths wrote:
> Hi all. I am trying to figure out how Irc networks such as Dalnet manage
> to configure their named's so that the servers users are placed on are
> completely randomized. In checking through the Bind documentation, I

I can't say how dalnet does this as I am not familiar with
it but you can just include multiple A records for a single
domain.  For example, say you have two irc servers at
yourcompany.com which you want load balanced.

irc	A 192.168.1.1
	A 192.168.1.2

Iirc, the dns protocol returns a records in a rotating
order so you'll have a more or less round-robin setup
without having to go with load balancers and the like.