Proftpd question

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Thu Jul 15 10:39:11 EDT 2004

Hi,
To answer your first question, a hard link wouldn't help you in this case. the reason is that you can't make a hard link to a directory. All a hard link is is another name in the filesystem for a file. They can't cross filesystems, and they can only point at files. To create one, just use the ln program without the -s option. If your kernel has the grsecurity patches installed (not likely), you can't even create a hard link that points outside a chroot. It really doesn't matter anyway since a hard link isn't an option. The only thing you can really do is to either use sftp (which doesn't chroot), or disable chrooting. I don't remember your exact problem now, but you can't use sftp for anonymous connections (obviously), and proftp has an implied chroot that can't be disabled for an anonymous ftp account. (this is a good thing actually)

To ansewr your second question, you can interpret the bits as follows:

r=4
w=2
x=1

For each group (owner, group, world) add these numbers together. Therefore, -rw-r--r-- gives 644 and -rwxr-xr-x gives 755.
--
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
Note, the following is used for automated processing. Please lieve in
tact if quoting me in a reply.
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7