Proftpd question

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jul 15 03:27:02 EDT 2004

Jayson Smith writes:
> Also, is there a way to find out, in numeric terms, the permissions of a
> file or directory?  Keeping up with what 755, rwx--r--r or whatever, etc.
> means when compared to each other is a bit difficult for me at times.

I'm unaware that you can have ls put out permissions as their octal
equivalents, but I may learn something.

Still, if you remember that the "rwx--r--r" comes in groups of three,
you might find it easier. Here's how:

The first char is all by itself. It tells you whether the file is a
diectory, a link, etc.

The rest are grouped by three.

r is always 4
w is always 2
x is always 1

So, the example you gave, rwx--r--r, becomes 744.

And, the firstgroup of three, or the first octal digit, is for owner,
the next for group, and the last for world.