using Less commands

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Jan 28 15:05:02 EST 2004

Well, I'm probably not the best one to respond here as I am somewhat
of a geek and don't mind digging around a bit or maybe a lot to figure
things out.  Yes, the "run of the mill" office style applications are
probably confined to the X Windows environment and I would think that
seriously today a sighted person using X Windows could slide right in
and get down with a linux environment if they would only give it a
chance.  For us blind folks, its still another matter.  X Windows
accessibility is still in the early primative stages and not really
ready for prime time.  So in the mean time, we stick with character
based applications where we need to learn those funky commands like in
emacs and vi.  I should say though, sc, the spreadsheet app, has been
fairly easy for me to use.  Please look over the online help; you can
get at it with the question mark (?) key.  IE: type the = key before
any numeric entry and put a '<' before left justified text, '>' before
any right justified text and I forget the character for centered
text.  Again, the help screen told me this.  The man page lists all
the possible formulas available.  I use sc on a regular basis to
manage a budget as I blow through my paychecks:).  It even maintains
automatic totals like all good spreadsheet programs do.

So I would say some utils like mutt, pine, lynx and even sc are (I
feel) easy enough to learn with little effort.  Emacs is an extremely
powerful editor but therefore requires a steep learning curve.  I'm
learning it and am playing around with Emacspeak as we speak and I see
a lot of potential there.  I've heard others say and now I agree, a
combination of Speakup for the strait console and Emacspeak for
various emacs applications really puts you in the driver's seat and I
would say, probably more efficient than working in windows with their
advanced screen readers that sell for around a thousand dollars!  I
think another herdle for starting up in linux is the setup phase.
Getting thing setup just the way you want is probably a lot harder
than many windows apps but once in place, it is stable and will run
forever without breaking!

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!