using Less commands

Ed Thurston thurston at ntelos.net
Wed Jan 28 11:38:06 EST 2004

hello Alex,

When I first tried using  Linux several years ago, I tried to learn  emac
with emac speake and was  completely lost and gave up the whole  process.

I am making a second stab at  it with Speakup running slackware.  My
purpose is use  Linux  as a end user. I. e, To have someone set up Linux
and then I will use  applications on it.

I am doing quite well with mutt using  joe as its editor and lynx, but Joe
is just that, an editor and not a  word processor.

If Linux is to take a real bite out of Microsoft, it will have to be user
friendly.  The operating system is great now, but the applications are not
ready for  universal use.  For example if an employer wanted to hire a
secretary, he might be prepared to train her in using a user friendly word
processor, something equivalent to wp51 but not Emac with its hundreds of
command line commands. Also a user  friendly  spreadsheet such as Lotus for
dos should be  developed.  I have ttried to use SC as my spreadsheet and so
far have gotten nowhere with it.  I have yet to figure out how to even key
in numerric values, much less set up a complete  spreadsheet.

I do hope that there are some  programmers out there busily  keying  many
lines of code developing such  types of applications, so as to make  Linux
a real contender in the home as well as in the market place environment.

Do you feel that such  programs are in the works?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings,

Ed,