using Less commands

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jan 26 15:59:05 EST 2004

I think what you would do is after hitting m to set a mark, hit
another letter of your choice.  Say for this example, use letter 'a'
without the ''.  Then when you go to that bookmark later, type the '
key followed by the letter a.  That's how I see it; I could be wrong
but...  Give it a go.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 03:38:46PM -0500, Ed Thurston wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> 	I have spent some time in learning some of the  commands  for the Less
> Utility Program. However, I am stumped as how to use the command to mark
> the point in the body of text being read in order to  return to it later.
>
> For instance the help file says  to mark the place to  return to with
> m<letter>.
>
> Does this mean to use the letter m to mark the place?  Whenever I do so, it
> does not work.  When I go to the  top of the file in question and   press
> the  apostrophe key which is supposed to  go to the marker, nothing
> happens.  It just says marked text not found.
>

> Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
>
> Also will the marker remain in place so that I can return to it at another
> time?  Or will it be lost  when I turn off  the computer?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ed,

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!