softsynth module

Chris Nestrud ccn at uark.edu
Sat Feb 28 21:01:16 EST 2004

Hi list,

I am using speakup v2.00 cvs (Dec 22, 2003) with kernel 2.4.24. iI have
created /dev/softsynth as a character special device with major
number 10 and minor number 26. I am able to load the speakup_sftsyn
module.
Trying to tail /dev/softsynth (just to see if things are
working properly) gives an error. I would expect it to echo text
which would be sent to a hardware synthesizer.

laptop:~# rmmod speakup_ltlk
releasing synth ltlk
laptop:~# ls -l /dev/softsynth
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      10,  26 Feb 27 12:44 /dev/softsynth
laptop:~# modprobe speakup_sftsyn
initialized device: /dev/softsynth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 26)
laptop:~# tail -f /dev/softsynth
tail: cannot open `/dev/softsynth' for reading: Operation not permitted
tail: no files remaining
laptop:~# rmmod speakup_sftsyn
releasing synth softsynth
unregistered /dev/softsynth
laptop:~# modprobe speakup_ltlk
Probing for LiteTalk.
LiteTalk: ROM version: ìÜ15.30
LiteTalk: at  3f8-3ff, driver 1.1

Would someone care to point out the very small and obvious thing that
I'm missing?

Chris