more 508

Whitley CTR Cecil H WhitleyCH.ctr at cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Wed Feb 4 10:42:57 EST 2004

Janina,
Last October I went from being a fed to being a contractor.  Now my employer
has to only worry about 508 compliance in work products provided to the
government.  Internal work products/procedures/etc do not need to comply.  I
even cringe at some of the work products we provide....  I'm just an indian,
not a chief.  It does no good for me to point out compliance issues to
either my employer or the custome, neither seems to care....  Well, my
employer would care if the customer did.

As a contractor, I no longer have standing to file a complaint based on
internal software which is not compliant, even though it should be.  I don't
know about other agencies, but for this one the 508 complaint process is
vaporware.  The local EEO office doesn't have a clue.  They want to use the
504 process, which would be fine if they processed 508 issues as 508 issues,
not 504 issues.  Okay, you don't have to use that software so it's
resolved.....  I'm sure you get the picture.
Cecil