More "Log-On" related questions

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Dec 23 07:20:29 EST 2004

A note of caution about logging in twice as the same user. Be careful
not to run the same application in two consoles as the same user, unless
you are sure the application can deal with that okay. For instance, if
you are running pine in one console, and then open another console as
the same user and run another copy of pine, one of them will have "read
only" access to your folders, and you will be unable to save or delete
stuff. I normally keep lots of consoles open at once, but not as the
same user.

C.H.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Ann K. Parsons wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now, this question I can answer.  Yes, you can log on as yourself in
> console 1 and as root in 2 or whatever.  You can log on as yourself in
> two or three consoles at the same time if you choose.  I'm currently
> logged into four consoles, One is where I'm running my emacs session.
> One is where my current audio book is sitting.  One is where I log
> onto the reflector, and one's for just stuff.  Linux is truly a
> multitasking OS, it's not fake!
>
> You can even log in as yourself in a console and "su" to root if you
> need to do that.
>
> However, the book is absolutely right.  You don't want to be root
> unless you absolutely have to.  You *can* break things that way.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> 			Ann K. Parsons
> email:  akp at eznet.net
> WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
> "All that is gold does not glitter.
> Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (91% of Full)
"Things are in the saddle, and they ride mankind." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Personal site www.hhs48.com, Download site www.mhcable.com/~chuckh