More "Log-On" related questions

Ann K. Parsons akp at eznet.net
Wed Dec 22 20:05:08 EST 2004

Hi all,

Now, this question I can answer.  Yes, you can log on as yourself in
console 1 and as root in 2 or whatever.  You can log on as yourself in
two or three consoles at the same time if you choose.  I'm currently
logged into four consoles, One is where I'm running my emacs session.
One is where my current audio book is sitting.  One is where I log
onto the reflector, and one's for just stuff.  Linux is truly a
multitasking OS, it's not fake!

You can even log in as yourself in a console and "su" to root if you
need to do that.

However, the book is absolutely right.  You don't want to be root
unless you absolutely have to.  You *can* break things that way.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net
WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
"All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT