More "Log-On" related questions

W. Nick Dotson nickdotson at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 22 19:22:25 EST 2004

In "Intro to Linux" Chapter 2, "Note
Don't log in as root

Also in text mode: log in as root only to do setup and configuration that absolutely requires administrator privileges, such as adding users, installing
software packages, and performing network and other system configuration. Once you are finished, immediately leave the special account and resume your
work as a non-privileged user."

OK, I get this for safety, as I understand it, it's like being a "System Administrator" in Windows, because one can break the system in that mode.  So my
questions are:
1.  Other than rebooting, then logging on as the "user" Janina helped me create for "mail", is using "alt-ctl-f2" as good if I'm already logged on as "root"?
2.  If I were to log on as my username, could I still do root log-on in another console?

Nick

W. Nick Dotson
Technical Support Group
Senior Support Engineer for Kurzweil 1000