creating /dev/softsynth

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Tue Aug 10 12:16:31 EDT 2004

Hi,

	I was having this problem too, but Gene Collins pointed out the order in which you need to start things:

1) As you have now, festival and speech-dispatcher have to be running (as daemons).
2) do: "echo >/proc/speakup/synth_name sftsyn"
	This doesn't start talking yet, but loads the 'speakup_sftsyn' module and tells speakup which synthesizer it's going to use.
3) now, just do: "speechd_up" as root
	You should now hear speakup talking through your computer's audio system.

	hth,

	--terry