creating /dev/softsynth

Willem van der Walt<willem@top.health.gov.za> willem at top.health.gov.za
Tue Aug 10 07:47:19 EDT 2004

Hi,
I have flite compiled and speech-dispatcher doing its test and talking.
I seem to have speechd_up compiled and installed correctly, but after
having created
/dev/softsynth with major 10 and minor first 26 and then after deleting
the first one, 36,
After starting speechd_up -L/var/log/speech.log
I get this:
[Tue Aug 10 13:33:48 2004] speechd: Speechd-speakup starts!
[Tue Aug 10 13:33:48 2004] speechd: ERROR!
Unable to open soft synth device (/dev/softsynth)
I have chmod 777 /dev/softsynth although it belongs to root and i was
running everything as root.
What am i doing wrong here?
TIA
Willem