debian speech-dispatcher

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Thu Apr 29 12:16:42 EDT 2004

Cheryl,

In your description you did not mention running ./configure
before trying 'make all'. You did that, right?

Also the readme says to create an environment variable "SED"
pointing to your sed utility before compiling.

Finally, be sure to use --enable-shared or --with-shared when
configuring both flite and speech-dispatcher.

My compile went okay, but the "make install" failed to copy
libspeechd.o and libspeechd.h to their required locations in a
bin directory and an include directory. I had to do that by hand.

Sorry I can't be more specific about your issues there, but I
have my setup working, except for hooking dectalk into the thing.

Chuck

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Has anybody tried using the speech-dispatcher and related packages in
> debian unstable? Is it possible to do that or is source required since
> speechd-up has to be compiled (I didn't see that on debian0. Also, the
> debian package isn't quite the latest speech-dispatcher.
> I'm asking because when I tried to compile speech-dispatcher with 'make
> all' it claimed there wasn't any rule to make target "all'. so i tried:
>
> aclocal && autoconf && autoheader && automake -a && automake
> automake: src/c/clients/say/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
> `$(c_api)/li
> bspeechd.h' is in subdirectory
> automake: src/tests/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
> `$(c_api)/libspeechd
> .h' is in subdirectory
> automake: src/tests/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
> `$(c_api)/libspeechd
> .h' is in subdirectory
> automake: src/tests/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
> `$(c_api)/libspeechd
> .h' is in subdirectory
> config/modules/Makefile.am:3: invalid variable `dist_moduleconf_DATA'
> config/clients/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `dist_clientconf_DATA'
> And also i never have figured out what pthreads (one of the listed
> requirements) is.
> So either i'm missing something key here or I got the wrong archive
> (speech-dispatcher-0.3.tar.gz) or something.
> Since nobody else is happening a problem, I have the awful suspicion I'm
> missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what that would be.
> Thanks.

- --
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (69% of Full)
My home page is now at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh