Listen-up and bookshare

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Sep 25 09:19:07 EDT 2003

Well, folks, we now have a new tool that can help us identify whether,
or not, any particular DAISY title is truly compliant with the ANSI
Z39.86-2002 standard. This ANSI number is, of course, the formal name
for DAISY 3.0 and the U.S. Library of Congress' upcoming digital talking
book products.

The tool is a validator, and it, as well as its source, is available at:

http://zedval.sf.net

That's right, DAISY is doing development on SouWell, folks, we now have
a new tool that can help us identify whether, or not, any particular
DAISY title is truly compliant with the ANSI Z39.86-2002 standard. This
ANSI number is, of course, the formal name for DAISY 3.0 and the U.S.
Library of Congress' upcoming digital talking book products.

The tool is a validator, and it, as well as its source, is available at:

http://zedval.sf.net

That's right, DAISY is doing development on Source Forge. And, the first
product of this development work is the Zedval Well, folks, we now have
a new tool that can help us identify whether, or not, any particular
DAISY title is truly compliant with the ANSI Z39.86-2002 standard. This
ANSI number is, of course, the formal name for DAISY 3.0 and the U.S.
Library of Congress' upcoming digital talking book products.

The tool is a validator, and it, as well as its source, is available at:

http://zedval.sf.net

That's right, DAISY is doing development on Source Forge. And, the first
product of this development work is the Zedval rce Forge. And, the first
product of this development work is Zedval. I am further pleased to
report that source is also available at that address because Zedval is
released under the LGPL license--though without the customary reference
to the location of LGPL at www.gnu.org. OK, so they're still learning
how to do open source.

It's also very likely, though I don't know for a fact, that Zedval may
not run on Linux. Last time I looked they had based Zedval on Microsoft
XML libraries. Of course, that may present some interesting licensing
issues as well, but more important, we need to find out now whether we
have a problem or not with this tool. It's not inconcievable to move
it--or branch it <grin> to libxml, for example.

In any case, it would be helpful if a few folks with better technical
chops than I took a look. If we do have a problem, we need to propose
some resolutions. The folks there are trying, but they still believe
they need to feed the monster from Puget Sound.