Battle Of The Iethernet Cards

Allan Shaw technews at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 31 14:58:45 EST 2003

Hi Rejean,

Well my first suggestion based on other notes we've exchanged, would be to
take a step back and truly look at what it is you want to do at the end of
the day.
If you simply move forward at this point your just going to create a
situation where the only way to fix the next problem will be to go back to
the beginning and start from scratch.

However, lets see what we can do with your current configuration.

Are you or have you been using your Linux box as a gateway or Proxy Server?
If so you may have to uninstall these services or at least stop them.

Here is what I would do ...

1: Plug modem into up link port of router and put the second one in a box
some where.
2: Be sure to assign your 2 servers static IP's if not already done.
3: Have router issue dynamic IP if possible to all other workstations
excluding the above IP addresses using a single subnet.
4: configure router to direct various services such as (http, ftp, pop,
smtp) to the appropriate server and IP address.
5: Make sure all services and features are all fully functional/operational
before adding or configuring any new service.
6: KISS, make your life simple and avoid complication.

Now I'm not sure if any of the above will work with your environment but I
know it can work and is how I've set things up on my home network.

Hope this helps.