Dectalk pc working

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Oct 29 21:03:43 EST 2003

I don't think you need to load speakupmain as loading the synth driver
should pull it in as a dependency. That's the point of modprobe.

Also, you m ight want to build an initrd with decpc so that it will talk
during the boot like Speakup 1.x does.

Joseph Norton writes:
> From: Joseph Norton <jenorton at chartertn.net>
>
> Well, got the DECtalk pc working.
>
> Here's how I did it in case any of you want to know.
>
> I got the latest cvs version of speakup and compiled the kernel
> modularizing speakup and its various modules (including the decpc module).
>
> Then, I did a make modules and make modules_install and make bzImage (not
> necessarily in that order).  Then, I installed it and ran lilo to tell
> lilo about the new kernel.
>
> When I booted up, everything was silent.  I logged in as root, changed to
> the directory where I had the dtload program, ran dtload and DECtalk said
> it was initialized.
>
> Then, I did the following:
>
> modprobe speakupmain
> echo decpc > /proc/synth_name
>
> and it came up talking after that.
>
> Here is my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file where I put these commands.  Any reason
> why this shouldn't work? I just booted up with this and it seemed to work
> all right.
> Here is the file:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # /etc/rc.d/rc.local:  Local system initialization script.
> #
> # Put any local setup commands in here:
> /usr/local/lib/dec_pc/dtload
> modprobe speakupmain
> echo decpc > /proc/speakup/synth_name

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group