Dectalk pc working

Joseph Norton jenorton at chartertn.net
Sat Oct 25 01:05:43 EDT 2003

Well, got the DECtalk pc working.

Here's how I did it in case any of you want to know.

I got the latest cvs version of speakup and compiled the kernel
modularizing speakup and its various modules (including the decpc module).

Then, I did a make modules and make modules_install and make bzImage (not
necessarily in that order).  Then, I installed it and ran lilo to tell
lilo about the new kernel.

When I booted up, everything was silent.  I logged in as root, changed to
the directory where I had the dtload program, ran dtload and DECtalk said
it was initialized.

Then, I did the following:

modprobe speakupmain
echo decpc > /proc/synth_name

and it came up talking after that.

Here is my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file where I put these commands.  Any reason
why this shouldn't work? I just booted up with this and it seemed to work
all right.
Here is the file:

#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.local:  Local system initialization script.
#
# Put any local setup commands in here:
/usr/local/lib/dec_pc/dtload
modprobe speakupmain